Questions and Answers

We have tried to answer some of the most frequently asked questions below. Click on the question or the + sign to reveal the answer. If you can’t find the answer to your question below, please contact us.

  • How do I apply?

    Just phone the number on this website or send an email requesting an application form

  • How long does an application take?

    We will process your application within 5 working days and discuss with you the current availability.

  • What if I am not ready yet, can I go on the waiting list?

    Yes, if you have been in the UK News Trade it is a good idea if you know when you wish to rent one of our Apartments or Bungalows.

  • Are the vacancies advertised?

    They are advertised on this site

  • What is the average Maintenance Contribution and Service Charge per month?
    • Seaford:  £397.71 Maintenance Contribution + £131.82 service.
    • Lilleshall : £352.91 Maintenance Contribution + £149.41 service
    (information correct as at 01/12/14.)
  • Do you accept applicants on pension credit?


  • Do I have to pay my own Council Tax


  • How many two bedroom apartments do you have?

    At Seaford we have four two bedroom bungalows and a two bedroom House. Lilleshall has no two bedroom accommodation.

  • Are they for sale or available for part-ownership?

    No, all our Apartments are for rent only

  • Do you have a guest room for visitors?

    There are Premier Inn’s or Hotels near Lilleshall & Seaford

  • Do you allow pets?

    No pets are allowed at Old Ben Homes, with the exception of Registered Assistance or Disability Aid Dogs.

  • Do I have to have a link with the UK News Trade?


  • Who is eligible from the UK News Trade ?

    Newspaper & Magazine Wholesale companies ie Smiths News (Connect) John Menzies, Surridge Dawson plus others, Distributors ie Circulation Departments from National & Regional Press, Sales force & Circulation Departments from Magazine & Newspaper Distributors ie Comag, Marketforce, Seymour . News & Magazine Retailers , Contractor Drivers , Newspaper/ Magazine Representatives.

  • What is the minimum age for acceptance?

    No minimum age.

  • Are you equipped to provide nursing care?

    No, we are not. You can arrange your own care plans if necessary and we can give help and advice with these but we are not equipped to provide care. We are Sheltered Housing .

  • Are you linked to NewstrAid the News Trades Charity?

    Yes we are linked but Old Ben Homes is a separate charity providing sheltered housing for ex members of the UK News Trade it does not fund raise or provide financial support.

  • Is the Scheme Manager/ Warden cover 24/7, or what are the emergency arrangements?

    We have 9 – 5pm weekday cover by an onsite Scheme Manager/Warden, at evenings, weekends and bank holidays, we are covered by a national call centre.

  • Do we have a contract or tenancy?

    As an alms-houses charity you will have a ‘letter of appointment’.